Tuesday, March 18, 2008

St. Paddy's Distraction

I fielded off three invitations to celebrate the green-beer holiday via text message from my study post at no-internet Starbucks. I forced my self to study until the barista forced me to leave and then went home to study more. Except that I couldn't get a parking space in front of my own house. I finally parked in front of the neighbor two houses down and then heard music blaring before I reached my door. After all my diligence, a St. Paddy's Day BBQ stood in my way. Now it's nearly 1 am, I have two days to write 20 pages, and I'm hopped up on coffee and vodka. Disaster. Even worse, my roommates' girlfriend and my neighbor discovered my blog and now they are making fun of me:
"So you're writing a blog about writing your thesis instead of actually writing your thesis?" they ask.
"Yes," I say.
"Ironic."

THESIS PROGRESS: 19.85 of 40 pages written*
*That's only for chapter 3, the full thesis is much longer.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Hey, you ARE making pretty consistent progress (13.35 pages in 48 hours) while procrastinating! -K.

C. Moon Reed said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Now all I have to do is up that rate and write 20 pages in the next 48 hours. Sooooo, I imagine there will be a lot more blogs posted between now and then (assuming my brain doesn't explode in the process).

Kristina said...

Let's say we'll give you 12 hours for sleep, 6 for eating and personal hygiene, 10 for blogging and other procrastination, which leaves you with one page per remaining hour. That's nothing! You can do it! (So much for my procrastinating...giving advice to fellow procrastinators)

C. Moon Reed said...

I hope you're math holds out, cause right now the situation looks a little dire. I think I must have forgotten to carry the "1" somewhere along the way.

Kristina said...

Remember, it does not have to be your most brilliant work ever. That comes afterwards. The thesis is just a hoop to jump through. Hang in there, K.