Saturday, March 29, 2008

VIEW FROM THE IVORY TOWER: Industrial Water Fountain


No witty banter around the water cooler for you, my friend. (Of course, ya can't chat about last night's American Idol gossip when you're too busy studying to watch TV. So think of it as sweet release from your social ineptitude.) Nope, you get the industrial water fountain; it's your share of Soviet-era plunder from when we won the Cold War. Congratulations. On the bright side, if you're drinking microscopic lead chippings, you can always sue the university. Sure, your $50 million settlement will deprive the next generation of research funding, but hey, you'll have finally found a way to strike it rich as an academic.

PS. Oh the sacrifices I make for you, my readers! ... I endured a string of weird looks from undergrads who simply could not fathom why one of their superiors would need to document the library's water fountain with a camera phone.

2 comments:

Samia said...

I can only imagine the looks you got.

C. Moon Reed said...

Hahaha! It wasn't so bad. I chose an out of the way water fountain. But undergrads can be brutal.